Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Husband's Mysterious Mind

Jack has been dropping off and picking up Kooky Kid from daycare by bicycle. Hooray! I think this fortuitous turn of events was inspired by KK's classmates' bon mot. I'm immeasurably impressed by his efforts because it took quite some effort to retrofit the bike, take the childseat off my bike and install it on his. So he's biking at least 45 minutes each weekday, the DexCom faithfully recording the BG as it steadily lowers during his journey. And (the cherry on top of all), he takes glucose tabs with him (woohoo! preparation!), and he loads himself up with milk and juice before going. I am so proud, I could cry... He is so proud of himself, he reminds me every day: "My stomach's smaller already! I really like the biking!" Then, yesterday, "And I thought of it all myself, right? You didn't make me do it!"

Right. I thought he was a bit more enlightened than that. He's Dutch. He cooks. He vacuums. He changes diapers and he can get the baby to fall asleep when I can't. But he doesn't do things just because I tell/ask/suggest him to?! Yeegads, that would explain a lot of things. And I can't believe I didn't realize this until now, on our 14th-year anniversary. So I should be more crafty when I want him to do something? Plant the seeds instead of laying it out straight?? But it's understandable - he probably often feels that the diabetes controls him. Add onto that the perception (maybe reality) that his wife is also imposing control over him, and any sane human being would balk.

Ironically, I actually did suggest the bike riding, months ago =)

2 Comments:

At 9/8/06, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

That is AWESOME!!! Go Jack!!

 
At 14/8/06, Anonymous shiso mama said...

I'm glad to hear that your husband is getting fit. Good for him!

There was a fascinating article in the New York Times a couple of months ago, about how the author used methods that exotic animal trainers use to "train" her husband, such as rewarding behavior she liked, and ignoring behavior she didn't. It's a fun read. My husband and I are constantly accusing each other of trying to use these techniques now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/25/fashion/25love.html?ex=1155787200&en=6c8d07da91fea747&ei=5070

(in case the link doesn't work, the article is called "What Shamu Taught Me About a Happy Marriage")

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home